Babcock sponsor new Maritime Media Award
The Maritime Foundation, organisers of the national Maritime Media Awards is pleased to announce a three-year sponsorship for the new First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award.
The First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award is a new category for this year’s awards, having been introduced to recognize excellence in website design and the use of social media channels.
First Sea Lord Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC DL commented:
“The Maritime Foundation remains a focal point for promoting maritime matters in the United Kingdom, as demonstrated by its recent Britain and the Sea conference. It also organises the annual Maritime Media Awards which continue to go from strength to strength. I am particularly delighted to inaugurate the First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award this year. As the 21st century unfolds, we must all embrace 21st century technologies if we are to make the most of the opportunities for modern understanding which lie ahead.”
The purpose of the awards is to inspire and honour writers, film-makers and communicators whose work enhances public understanding of Britain’s dependence upon the sea.
The four categories are:
• The Desmond Wettern Award for best maritime journalistic contribution
• The Mountbatten Award for best maritime literary contribution
• The Donald Gosling Award for best maritime television or film contribution
• The First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award for best maritime digital media contribution
A record 93 nominations have been received this year. The full list of nominees is at: https://www.maritimefoundation.uk/awards/nominations-2014/
Archie Bethel, Divisional Chief Executive, Babcock said:
“Babcock is both delighted and honoured to sponsor The First Sea Lord’s Award for the best maritime digital media contribution. Annually the Maritime Media Awards acknowledge the critical role all forms of media play in communicating maritime news and events around the globe. In our fast moving world where technology takes centre stage, it is important we recognise the ever increasing and significant place digital media channels have in our daily lives”.
The Foundation is delighted that Babcock International, for over a century a name synonymous with marine engineering excellence, will sponsor this prestigious prize as part of its Maritime Media Awards.
Maritime Foundation Chairman Julian Parker OBE added:
“Digital media adds a vibrant new channel of communication to spread maritime awareness and Babcock’s sponsorship significantly enhances the prestige of this award.”
The winners will be announced and prizes presented at the annual dinner held at the Institute of Directors, London, on 5 November 2014.
Notes for editors
- The Maritime Foundation is a charity promoting Britain’s interests across the entire maritime sector. Its purpose is to inform and raise public and parliamentary awareness of the importance of Britain’s maritime industries, commerce and defence through education, training and research, as well as through the Foundation’s annual Maritime Media Awards.
- The Maritime Media Awards began in 1995. In memory of Desmond Wettern, former naval correspondent of the Daily Telegraph, The Maritime Foundation initiated the Desmond Wettern Media Award to give recognition to those journalists who do most to create public awareness of maritime matters. This initiative has since grown into a national event.
- Full details of the awards programme is available online at https://www.maritimefoundation.uk/awards.
- Photo of the new First Sea Lord’s Digital Media Award available on request.
About the Maritime Foundation
The Maritime Foundation is a not for profit organisation promoting Britain’s interests across the entire maritime sector.
Its purpose is to inform and raise public and parliamentary awareness of the importance of Britain’s maritime industries, commerce and defence through education, training and research, as well as through the Foundation’s annual Maritime Media Awards.